New Anticoagulant Therapies: A Market Briefing
There is a pressing need for new anticoagulant therapeutics in human medicine. To meet this need, developers are reformulating traditional cornerstone therapeutics such as heparin and looking to new classes such as DTIs to prevent stroke and myocardial infarction and treat deep vein thrombosis and a host of other emerging indications.
This briefing analyzes the potential world medical markets for new anticoagulant therapies. Revenue projections through 2010 are made for four geographic regions and for two potentially blockbuster products. This report emphasizes the future markets for these products. The report generally reviews the nature and direction of research, as well as future markets. This briefing also profiles several companies involved in marketing or developing such products in the field, including AstraZeneca, Emisphere Technologies Inc., Encysive Pharmaceuticals and GlaxoSmithKline.
Market forecasts are based on an examination of current market conditions and on investigations into the development of new products by key companies. This information is also weighted with the projected timing and the probability of receiving FDA and other regulatory approval to market products. The information presented in this report is the result of data gathered from company product literature and other corporate brochures and documents, as well as information found in the scientific and trade press. In addition, interviews were conducted with company executives, clinicians, researchers and public health officials.
- The Need For New Anticoagulants
- Niche Market Opportunities
- Summary Market Potential
CHAPTER TWO: INTRODUCTION
- Cornerstones of Therapy
- Current and New Therapies
- Indirect Thrombin Inhibitors
- Direct Thrombin Inhibitors
- Anticoagulation Management Trends
- Drivers and Needs
- Issues and Challenges
CHAPTER THREE: MARKET FORECASTS
- Opportunities in the Market Place
- New Therapeutics
- The Competition
- World and Regional Forecasts
- Market Potential for Emerging Products
CHAPTER FOUR: KEY PLAYERS AND THEIR TECHNOLOGIES
- AstraZeneca PLC
- Bayer Healthcare AG
- Celsus Laboratories Inc.
- Daiichi Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd.
- Emisphere Technologies Inc.
- Encysive Pharmaceuticals
- GlaxoSmithKline PLC
- La Jolla Pharmaceutical Co.
- The Medicines Co.
- Transgenomic Inc.
LIST OF EXHIBITS
- Exhibit 1: Advantages of LWMHs Over UFH
- Exhibit 2: World Market for Anticoagulant Therapies 2004-2010
- Exhibit 3: Incidence statistics for Deep Vein Thrombosis
- Exhibit 4: Indications for Oral Anticoagulants
- Exhibit 5: Qualities of Ideal Anticoagulant Medication
- Exhibit 6: Status of Selected Anticoagulant Therapeutics in the Pipeline
- Exhibit 7: World Market for Anticoagulant Medications 2004-2010
- Exhibit 8: U.S. Market for Anticoagulant Medications 2004-2010
- Exhibit 9: European Market for Anticoagulant Medications 2004-2010
- Exhibit 10: Asian Market for Anticoagulant Medications 2004-2010
- Exhibit 11: Rest of World Market for Anticoagulant Medications 2004-2010
- Exhibit 12: Potential Market for Exanta (ximelagatran) 2004-2010
- Exhibit 13: Potential Market for Arixtra (fondaparinux) 2003-2010