European Medical Device Markets (Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Poland, Other Markets)
European Medical Device MarketsThe heavily regulated European medical device industry has unique challenges and opportunities. Devices need to be approved for reimbursement and prices are negotiated by governments. Companies in the field must make constant research and development investments to produce the innovations that drive market success. As part of its extensive coverage, European Medical Device Markets contains an overview of medical devices and relevant regulation in European markets; market size estimate and forecast to 2022 for the European market and individual country markets, including Germany, France, UK, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and others; an index of bellwether device companies; markets for specific categories of medical devices; a look at market drivers and limiters; and company profiles of major device concerns.
Mergers and AcquisitionsIn this increasingly competitive market, medical device companies have been very active with acquisitions. It often goes beyond the desire to acquire novel technologies. Medical device companies are seeking strategic acquisitions to fill gaps in their portfolios in a manner that will help them offer more complete solutions. There is a trend toward consolidation, driven in part by the necessity to reduce costs as pricing pressures mount from hospital customers. The report provides details of recent transactions in the market, including:
- Highest Valued Medical Device M&A Deals (2015-2017 YTD)
- Mergers and Acquisitions in the Medical Device Market, 2015-2017 YTD
- Medical Device M&A Combined Value by Year (2015-2017 YTD)
Specific Device MarketsWith respect to specific device markets, the report provides descriptions of some selected device areas and discusses important market dynamics specific to those areas. A report table details the size of specific European device markets from 2015 through 2022, including the following:
- European Markets for Specific Medical Devices, 2015-2022 (Anesthesia Monitors; Blood Collection; Blood Gas Analyzers; Blood Pressure Monitors; Cannula Respiratory; Catheters; Computed Tomography; Coronary Stents; CPAP Machines; Defibrillators; Dental Equipment (excluding x-ray); Dental X-ray; Dialysis Equipment & Supplies; EKG/ECG Machines; Electrosurgical Devices; Endoscopes (excluding gastro); Gastric Banding/Bariatric; Gastro Endoscopes; Glucose Tests; Hip Implants; Hypodermic Syringe; Infusion Pumps; Intraocular Lenses; Knee implants; Medical Beds; Minimally Invasive Surgical Instruments; MRI; Neurostimulation; Ostomy Care Devices; Oxygen Therapy Equip.; Pacemakers; Spine Implants; Stethoscopes; Sutures, Staples, Staplers; Traditional Surgical Instruments (scalpels, forceps, retractors, scissors); Ultrasound; Vascular Closure Devices; Wheelchairs; Wound Care, Advanced; X-Ray (excluding dental); Others; Total)
Bellwether CompaniesFor the purposes of this study, Kalorama has identified fifteen medical device companies with a diverse enough product range, significant revenues and performance to provide insight into the European medical device industry. The companies offer diversified product offerings, spread across several segments or subsegments of medical device participation. Theses bellwether companies are:
- Johnson & Johnson
- Danaher Corp.
- Becton Dickinson
- GE Healthcare
- Abbott Laboratories
- Boston Scientific
- Zimmer Biomet
- B. Braun
- Smith & Nephew
- Revenue Performance, Bellwether Companies, 2016 vs. 2017
- Research and Development Spending, Bellwether Companies, 2016 and 2017
Market Analysis, Including Market Indicators by CountryThe coming years will test the strategies of device companies to innovate and develop markets, with some of the traditional sources of revenues challenged as reimbursement reduction schemes in Europe disrupt even the most innovative of device companies that are able to develop products that can command higher prices. Growth, however, is expected to be stable and increasingly climbing; with a slow rate of growth expected initially, followed by increasing revenue growth as European markets make strides in healthcare delivery and economic recovery becomes visible later in the report’s forecast period. European Medical Device Markets looks at market revenues and trends, including:
- Medical Device Spending as a Percentage of European Health Spending, by Country, 2016 (Switzerland, Sweden, Poland, Spain, United Kingdom, Italy, France, Germany)
- Global European Medical Device Market 2015-2022 (in billions % at manufacturer level)
- Significant Country Device Revenues in Europe 2015-2022 ($ billions) (Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Poland, Others)
- Global Population Trends, Total Population vs. Age 65+ Population, 2000-2050
- Global Prevalence of Disease, 2000, 2015 and Projected 2030 (Hypertension, Diabetes Mellitus, Depression, Asthma, Coronary Heart Disease / Ischemic Heart Disease, COPD, Epilepsy, Alzheimer's Disease, HIV / AIDS, Stroke Survivors, Cancer, Tuberculosis, Parkinson's Disease, ESRD)
- Mortality: Chronic vs. Acute, 2015
- Germany Medical Device Market Indicators
- France Medical Device Market Indicators
- United Kingdom Medical Device Market Indicators
- Italy Medical Device Market Indicators
- Spain Medical Device Market Indicators
- Switzerland Medical Device Market Indicators
- Sweden Medical Device Market Indicators
- Poland Medical Device Market Indicators
Competitive AnalysisThe report provides profiles of the fifteen bellwether companies noted above, including for each a corporate summary and a financial review for 2015-2017. Also profiled are other major device concerns, including corporate summaries of the following:
- 3M Health Care
- Access Scientific, LLC
- Acutronic Medical Systems AG
- Advanced Bionics AG
- BSN Medical
- Cardinal Health
- Cook Medical
- Cooper Surgical
- CR Bard
- Dragerwerk AG & Co. KGaA
- Drive DeVilbiss Healthcare
- Edwards Lifesciences
- Fisher & Paykel Healthcare Limited
- GF Health Products Inc.
- Hollister Incorporated
- Invacare Corporation
- IRadimed Corporation
- Masimo Corporation
- Nova Biomedical
- Paul Hartmann, AG
- PerkinElmer, Inc.
- Teleflex Inc.
- Terumo Corporation
- Zyno Medical LLC
Report Scope & MethodologyEuropean Medical Device Markets was assembled using both secondary and primary data. Data from Kalorama Information's previous medical device reports, in addition to company annual reports, trade publications, government and medical literature were used as a foundation for estimates and forecasts. Interviews with executives at medical device companies were conducted and are a key source of estimates for specific device markets. Kalorama Information focuses on estimates of manufacturer revenues for business planning.
Search for an exact word or phrase by placing the word or phrase in quotation marks ("market trend"). Search for different versions or tenses of a word by placing an asterisk at the end of the word (pharma*).
Please note that your term must be at least three characters long and numbers will be blocked by the # sign.