Food Safety Diagnostics, The World Market
Attention: There is an updated edition available for this report.
Published Jan 20, 2013 | 140 Pages | Pub ID: KLI4950332
The food supply worldwide is under constant threat and effective test products that can ensure food safety are in demand. Microbial pathogens (primarily bacteria), viruses, environmental toxins, food allergens and adulterants, residues of drugs and agricultural chemicals can harm consumers if unchecked. In some countries, testing for Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) is also conducted to ensure food authenticity. According to Kalorama Information's Food Safety Diagnostics, The World Market, authored by Emil Salazar, there is an opportunity for IVD companies to adapt technologies used in clinical testing for these food safety purposes.
Beyond base demand from the food industry, laboratories and governmental agencies, market growth for the food safety diagnostics market has accelerated in the past five years through several market drivers in the United States, abroad, and internationally through the globalization of food. Current pressure on regulators and industry to ensure food safety is seemingly unprecedented in an age of mass media, consumer alert systems and industrialized food production that together have led to high publicized outbreaks and food safety recalls.
Analysis of the Market by Diagnostic Method and Disease Threats
Food Safety Diagnostics, The World Market, provides a detailed review of the opportunity for IVD companies to participate in the food diagnostic industry. A thorough explanation of food recalls, regulatory measures and market drivers provides a background. The report looks at the market from a dual perspective so that it can be most useful to companies interested in the market. It analyzes the market by the type of technology product: Immunodiagnostics, Microbiology and Molecular, as well as by target: Pathogens, Toxins, Agricultural Chemical/Veterinary Drug Residues, Allergens, and GMO/Authenticity. As part of its comprehensive coverage, the report includes the following important data:
- Food Safety Diagnostics Market Size
- US and European Diagnostics-Relevant Food Recall Statistics
- Strengths and Weakness of Various Food Safety Diagnostic Methods
- Food Safety Microbiology Market, Forecast and Breakout by Region (North America, Europe, ROW)
- Food Safety Molecular Diagnostics Market, Forecast and Breakout by Region (North America, Europe, ROW)
- Food Safety Immunodiagnostics Market, Forecast and Breakout by Region (North America, Europe, ROW)
- Food Safety Diagnostics Market Share by Threat – Pathogens, Toxins, Agricultural Chemical/Veterinary Drug Residues, Allergens, and GMO/Authenticity
- US and European Food Import Data
- Food Safety Diagnostics Company Market Share
- Listing of Food Safety Diagnostics Products by Company
The market scoping of this report and its distinction between food safety and food quality is informed by the definition of food safety as the presence or absence of hazards injurious or otherwise harmful to consumers. Numerous microbiological tests elsewhere termed food safety products or tests were determined in the course of market study to be irrelevant to the food safety diagnostics market. The two primary reasons for excluding non-pathogen microbiological tests:
- Such tests remain overwhelmingly the domain of traditional microbiology with culturing and plating used to determine colony and organism counts; IVD technologies can be used only selectively when specific microorganisms are to be detected
- Microbiological tests that do not selectively target pathogens may alternatively be used for food quality (determination of spoilage organisms such as bacteria, molds, or yeasts) or food safety through the determination of indicator organisms correlated with hygiene or conditions otherwise favorable to pathogenic microbes
A Clear Picture of the Competitive Landscape
The report presents the opportunity for IVD companies to enter the market though established players exist in the food safety diagnostics market, many with market shares estimable from company financial data and industry metrics. The competitive landscape of the food safety diagnostics market is fragmented. The following larger players are profiled in detail in this report.
- bioMérieux SA
- DuPont Qualicon
- Life Technologies Corporation
- Merck Millipore
- Neogen Corporation
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- Waters Corporation
Information for this report was gathered from a wide variety of published sources including company reports, catalogs, materials and public filings; government documents; trade journals; newspapers and business press; analysts’ reports and other sources. Interviews with company representatives were conducted to capture the perspectives from industry participants’ point of view and assess trends, and form the basis of the forecasting and competitive analysis.