Published Jan 3, 2017 |
208 Pages |
Pub ID: KLI15217025
What is the Market for Mass Spectrometry in Clinical Testing Applications? According to Kalorama Information, the market for mass spectrometry is 1.5 billion dollars. While the lion's share of the market is research-based, a growing portion of the mass spectrometry industry is for clinical applications. Kalorama Information's report segments these application markets, and details important developments in the industry.
Mass spectrometry has been primarily used in research applications, with early applications focused on small molecules. However, development of soft-ionization techniques such as matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization (MALDI) and electrospray ionization (ESI) has made it possible to study larger molecules such as proteins, peptides, DNA, and other large molecules without extensive fragmentation, opening up a whole new world of opportunities as mass spectrometry now moves into the clinical laboratory.
The Market for Mass Spectrometry in Clinical Testing Applications focuses on the worldwide market for mass spectrometry products – instruments and consumables – and includes the following information:
- Mass Spectrometry Market, Worldwide, 2016 and 2021 [Products and Services Provided by Mass Spectrometry Companies] (Total mass spectrometry market; Product Revenue: Instruments, Reagents/Consumables, Total product revenue; Service revenue)
- Mass Spectrometry Market (Products) – Research vs. Clinical, 2016 and 2021
- Mass Spectrometry Product Market by Geographical Region, Worldwide, 2016 and 2021 (North America, Europe, Asia, Rest of World, Total Market)
- Mass Spectrometry Market Share by Company, 2016 (%)
- Clinical Mass Spectrometry Product Market by Intended Clinical Category, 2016 (%) (Microbial Identification, Small molecule applications)
- Mass Spectrometry Market – By Type of Mass Spectrometer (%)
The report looks as well at the market drivers and challenges for mass spectrometry in the clinical lab, including the advantages and disadvantages of mass spectrometry and current trends in the mass spectrometry market.
The clinical diagnostic applications of mass spectrometry are expanding. Mass spectrometry has already had a disruptive impact on microbial identification. Mass spectrometry is now being applied to a growing number of oncology applications, and there is a growing awareness of the importance of both genomic and proteomic information for many oncology diagnostic applications. Mass spectrometry has the potential to be applied to other diagnostic applications as well, as discussed in this report.
With this market potential, many companies are making deals in this promising area. The report discusses selected investment and financing agreements in mass spectrometry companies, selected acquisitions, selected agreements between mass spectrometry companies, selected agreements between mass spectrometry platform/reagent companies and mass spectrometry software companies, selected company agreements between mass spectrometry companies and diagnostic companies or clinical laboratories, selected agreements among mass spectrometry companies and pharmaceutical or biopharmaceutical companies (includes contract research organizations providing services to pharma companies), and selected mass spectrometry company agreements with academic or other non-profit organizations.
Mass Spectrometry Company Profiles
The report includes company profiles of the players in the mass spectrometry market:
- 908 Devices Inc.
- Abbott Laboratories
- Advion, Inc.
- Agena Bioscience, Inc.
- Agilent Technologies Inc.
- Andromas SAS
- Applied Proteomics, Inc.
- Beckman Coulter, Inc. (Subsidiary of Danaher Corporation)
- Biocrates Life Sciences AG
- Biodesix, Inc.
- Biognosys AG
- bioMérieux SA
- Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc.
- Bruker Corporation
- Caprion Biosciences, Inc.
- caprotec bioanalytics GmbH
- Danaher Corporation
- Fluidigm Corporation
- Integrated Diagnostics, Inc.
- JEOL Ltd.
- KineMed, Inc.
- Microsaic Systems plc
- mosaiques diagnostics and therapeutics AG and DiaPat GmbH
- PerkinElmer, Inc.
- Proteome Sciences plc
- Sera Prognostics, Inc.
- Shimadzu Corporation
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- Waters Corporation