Protein Therapeutics: Monoclonal Antibodies, Plasma Proteins, Vaccines, and Other Treatments, Global Market
The substances utilized for what is commonly referred to as 'protein therapeutics' have one thing in common --- they are all composed primarily of á-amino acids; and these á-amino acids are linked together by a distinct chemical bond known as a “peptide” bond. Used in a variety of areas of medicine, they are among the most interesting pharmaceutical markets.
Above-Average Growth RatesWhat makes protein therapeutics interesting? The market for protein-based therapeutics is one that is significant in its size and growing at a rate that is well above what one would call “average” for the therapeutics/pharmaceuticals industry. This makes them a continual topic of interest for researchers examining the pharmaceutical markets. Protein Therapeutics: (Monoclonal Antibodies, Plasma Proteins, Vaccines and Other Treatments) takes a detailed look at this market
The substances detailed in this report include:
- Monoclonal Antibodies
- Growth Hormones
- Plasma Proteins
For each of these categories, market forecasts to 2012 are provided.
A Thriving Field with Abundant CompetitionAt the present time, there are at least 213 companies active in various aspects of protein-based therapeutics development. This is at, or greater than, the saturation level for the industry at this time. Presently, the industry is at equilibrium --- companies at the lower end leaving and entering at about the same rate and a small number of protein-based therapeutics companies being acquired by the more-established participants.
A Report That Answers Key Questions about the MarketDr. Kenneth Krul, PhD has surveyed the marketplace and in this volume reviews the key findings and conclusions about the current state of protein therapeutics. The report features forecasts for the main groups of protein therapeutics. Among the questions answered in this report:
- How large is the market; how fast is the market growing; and is such growth sustainable?
- What does the pipeline of products that are expected to sustain this growth look like?
- To what extent is the growth in this market dependent on production introduction versus price-point for these products?
- Is the development pipeline filled with similar products or direct alternatives such that product competition will be strong enough to significantly affect price-point?
- What is the industry structure like? What changes can be expected in the structure of the industry and how will these changes affect market size and growth?
CHAPTER ONE: EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- Scope and Methodology
- Market Analysis
- Trends and Considerations
- Tachykinin Peptides
- Vasoactive Intestinal Peptides
- Pancreatic Polypeptide-Related Peptides
- Opioid Peptides
- Calcitonin Peptides
- Other Peptides
- Advantages of Protein Therapeutics
- Group I: Enzymes and Regulatory Proteins
- Group II: Targeted Proteins
- Group III:
- Toward the Future
- Growth Rate
- Trending By Product Class
- Vaccines Market Forecast
- Antithrobins Market Forecast
- Hematopoietics Market Forecast
- Insulin Market Forecast
- Growth Hormones Market Forecast
- Plasma Proteins Market Forecast
- Trending by Product Class
- Altus Pharmaceuticals
- Amylin Pharmaceuticals
- Biogen IDEC
- BioMarin Pharmaceutical, Inc.
- Cell Genesys, Inc
- Eli Lilly & Company
- Genentech, Inc.
- Genzyme Corporation
- Human Genome Sciences
- Neose Technologies, Inc.
- Novo Nordisk, Inc (USA)
- Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Xoma, Ltd.
- First Conclusion
- Second Conclusion
- Third Conclusion
- Fourth Conclusion
- Fifth Conclusion
- Sixth Conclusion
- Seventh Conclusion
- Eighth Conclusion
- Ninth Conclusion
- Tenth Conclusion
TABLE OF EXHIBITS
CHAPTER ONE: EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- Table 1-1: Estimated Global Market for Protein-Based
Therapeutics by Major Product Class: 2008 - 2018
- Figure 1-1: Trending in the Global Market for Protein-Based
Therapeutics: 2008 - 2018
- Figure 1-2: Trending in the Protein-Based Therapeutics Global Market by Product Class: 2008 - 2018
- Table 2-1: The Naturally Occurring Amino Acids
- Table 2-2: Significant Peptides in Biological Functions
- Table 2-3: Key Features of Immunoglobulin Isotypes
- Table 2-4: Immunoglobulin Functional Properties
CHAPTER THREE: CLINICAL APPLICATIONS OF APPLICATIONS OF PROTEIN-BASED THERAPEUTICS
- Table 3-1: Replacement Protein Therapeutics: Subgroup Ia
- Table 3-2: Augmenting Protein Therapeutics: Subgroup Ib
- Table 3-3: Protein Therapeutics with a Novel Function
Activity: Subgroup Ic
- Table 3-4: Protein Vaccines: Subgroup IIa
- Table 3-5: Drug Delivery Protein Therapeutics: Subgroup IIb
- Table 3-6: Protein Vaccines: Group III
- Figure 3-1: Biotechnology-Based Therapeutics in Development by
Product Category: 2008 (Growth Factors, Interferons, Interleukins, Monoclonal Antibodies (mAbs), Recombinant Hormones/Proteins, Vaccines, Others)
- Figure 3-2: Biotechnology-Based Therapeutics in Development by
Protein and Non-Protein Category: 2008
- Figure 3-3: Biotechnology-Based Therapeutics in Development by Clinical Application (Disease State): 2008
- Table 3-7: Protein-Based Therapeutics in Development: 2008
- Figure 3-4: Distribution of Protein-Based Therapeutics in Development
by Orphan and Non-Orphan Drug Categories: 2008
- Figure 3-5: Distribution of Protein-Based Therapeutics in Development
- Figure 3-6: Distribution of Protein-Based Vaccines in Development by Recombinant and Non-Recombinant Categories: 2008
CHAPTER FOUR: MARKET ANALYSIS
- Table 4-1: Estimated Global Market for Protein-Based Therapeutics by Major Product Class: 2008 - 2018
- Figure 4-1 : Trending in the Global Market for Protein-Based Therapeutics: 2008 - 2018
- Figure 4-2: Trending in the Protein-Based Therapeutics Global Market by Product Class: 2008 - 2018
- Figure 4-3: Trending in the Protein-Based Therapeutics Global Market by Product Class: 2008 - 2018
- Figure 4-4: Biopharmaceutical Approvals by the United States FDA: 1988 - 2007
- Table 4-2: Biopharmaceuticals Approved by the FDA: 2006 - 2008
- Table 4-3: Global Markets for Cytokines, Vaccines and Hematopoietic Factors: 2008 - 2018
- Table 4-4: Companies Engaged in Protein-Based Therapeutics Development