Rx to OTC Switches 2009
While many areas of the pharmaceutical industry will suffer from current economic conditions worldwide, sales of over the counter drugs are widely anticipated to grow as consumers seek cheaper alternatives. Manufacturers are expected to switch prescription drugs to over the counter status where possible. In the early part of this decade there was a delcine in Rx to switches, since 2006 there has been a number of uses of this tactic to extend revenue of pharmaceutical products. In Kalorama Information's Rx to OTC Switches 2009, we take a look at recent swtiches, products that may switch in the future, and categories that can benefit most from an OTC product.
The U.S. market for Rx-to-OTC Switches encompasses a wide variety of products that have been determined safe and effective as over-the-counter products. The market is fueled by several factors including an aging population; steady to increased incidences of conditions and diseases; new drug classes switched to OTC; product demand; economic conditions and several other factors.
All product areas contribute to the growth and development of the OTC market; however, new product development and additional regulatory review and approval of new OTC drug classifications, specifically in areas such as gastrointestinal drugs, cholesterol-reducing drugs, and contraceptives are expected to make the most impact for continued growth.
As part of its coverage, this report includes
- Current Market for Rx to OTC across major categories
- Past Results of OTC Switches
- Products Most Likely to Switch to OTC
- Assessment of the Economic Downturn's Impact
- Allergy, Cough, Cold, and Sinus Products
- Analgesics, NSAIDs, and Pain Treatments
- Gastrointestinal Drugs
- Hair Loss Products
- Oral Care
- Rectal Ointments
- Smoking Cessation
- Weight Loss
Current and historical revenues for product segments include both the switched brands and OTC drugs containing switched ingredients. Forecasted data includes current products and forecasted switches which are outlined in the report.
The report includes statistical information for conditions and diseases affecting the U.S. population, including detail discussions, tables and figures. Each segment provides an overview, descriptions of products on the market, market estimates and forecasts, and competitive analysis of leading providers. In addition to above-mentioned information, the report includes current issues and trends affecting the industry and identifies trends that may arise in the future, including:
- Regulatory Actions
- A Third Class of Drug
- Insurance Issues and Reimbursement for OTC Drugs
- Health Insurance Trends in the United States
- Healthcare Flexible Spending Accounts and OTC Medicines: Impact on the Consumer
- Online Resources for Health Information
- OTC Availability
- Health Expenditures
- Pharmacists Role
- Impact on the Prescription Drug Manufacturer
- Strategies for Continued Product Growth
- Dual Status Switching
- Generic Competition
- Direct-to-Consumer Advertising
- Patent Expiration
- Labeling Changes
- International Trends in Rx-to-OTC Switches
- Prescription vs Over-the-Counter Industry
- Declining Growth of the World Population
Search for an exact word or phrase by placing the word or phrase in quotation marks ("market trend"). Search for different versions or tenses of a word by placing an asterisk at the end of the word (pharma*).
Please note that your term must be at least three characters long and numbers will be blocked by the # sign.